If you want your wine to truly age well, storing it right is of utmost importance. There is nothing that beats a soothing glass of red wine at the end of a long day. However, you don’t want your wine to lose its flavour because you weren’t quite sure how to store it.
Want to make sure that your wine is stored perfectly? Here is the run-down on the do’s and don’ts of storing wine at home!
Storing wine under perfect conditions is essential for your bottled friend to blossom. Try to follow these suggestions:
- Do keep it cool – Wine tastes best when stored at temperatures between 50 and 60 degrees Fahrenheit. Try to make sure that it does not cross 70 degrees. The best spot is probably a cool basement.
- Do turn off the lights – UV rays have a harmful impact on the wine and cause premature aging. Ensure that your bottles are far away from sunlight. Try to avoid switching on the lights as much as possible.
- Do invest in a wine cooler – In case you don’t live in a house where cooler conditions are feasible, a wine cooler is your best bet. It maintains a standard temperature of 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Additionally, some coolers come with UV blocking facilities.
Just as there are some things you must do to keep your wine happy, remember that there are some things you must try to avoid when storing your wine:
- Don’t keep the wine in the refrigerator – This may come as a surprise, but the refrigerator is a bad place to keep your wine! It is far too cold, and this can shrink the cork, allowing air to enter the bottle. You wouldn’t want to damage your wine here.
- Don’t shake the bottle – Shaking up your wine can cause residue sediment to rise. Consequently, your wine may taste a little grainy. The best thing to do here would be to leave your bottle alone. Avoid moving the bottle around and keep it in its place.
- Don’t keep the bottle upright for too long – Place your bottle on its side, and your wine will truly thrive! The liquid inside can move and remain in contact with the cork. If you keep it upright, the cork will dry out and leave behind an unpleasant odour when you open the bottle.
That is just a little bit of what you need to know about keeping your wine at its finest at home! Remember, effective storage is crucial if you want your wine tasting experience to be truly sublime.
So, the next time you see a bottle of wine inside the refrigerator or out in the sun, you know exactly where to keep it!